Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A basic ooey gooey but oh so yummy mess





Who knew it'd be 80 degrees on a Friday night in the middle of November? I guess that is why I moved here so I really can't complain unless I'm attempting to make a giant cookie ice cream sandwhich birthday cake for my loyal right hand cookie man, Jen's, b-day last weekend and you guys all know I'm not into making ordinary cookies... ever! We started our celebration at our new found second home and favorite neighborhood bar, Basic. They were so awesome in allowing me to use their kitchen to assemble my cookie concoction which created the biggest mess! As soon as the second layer of cookie went on the ice cream started gooeing and getting out that kitchen door trying to keep the candles lit was quite the task. Eventually the giant ice cream cookie cake made it out to the table with minimal drippage but only one candle was still going. we tried to re-lite but we were just wasting time and with that huge fan they have blowing in there we were fightin a lossing battle. So, with 2-3 candles going and quick rendition of your traditional happy birthday and a long winded blow, it was time to dig in! Someone silly, like me, thought it'd be necessary to track down some plates, forks and napkins so we could eat like civilized people but after 3 hours of Happy Hour already consumed civilization was the last of our worries. We all just grabbed a fork and DUG on in! And was it good!! Two Double Chocolate Walnut Bailey's Cookies with Rocky Road Ice Cream. I'm so glad I wore white. The next time I make it, I think I'd assemble it prior to serving and letting it freeze back in the freezer for a bit. But it's a definite keeper. Try it and let me know how it goes!
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 teaspoons baileys
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs, vanilla, baileys, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in chocolate until well blended. Sift flour, salt and baking powder and stir in. Add chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. Cover and cool in fridge for 30 mins. Spread over rounded baking pan and bake in preheated 350° oven 15-18 minutes, or until edges are crisp. Cool for 1 minute; remove to rack to cool completely.
For the ice cream I used a Chocolate Rocky Road and it was fantastic! You can't go wrong wityh more chocolate and the peanut butter and chocolate chips were just total delicious crunchy added bonus.

No comments: