Wednesday, January 21, 2009

When I just can't eat another cookie


Although sometimes I'm in denial I know that man cannot live on cookies alone. Or at least my budget can't. So when I can't afford to buy new jeans, this is my go to meal. Super healthy, super delicious and pretty simple. Mirrored after a salad at Come On In in La Jolla - it really is amazing!
Spinach & Arugula Fennel Salad with Shredded Poached Chicken and Honey Orange Vinaigrette

8oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Spinach & Arugula Salad Mix
1 Fennel Bulb (some stores call it Sweet Anise)
1 Can Mandarin Oranges
Shaved Parmesan Cheese

Dressing:
1/2 Orange - orange juice and zest
brown sugar
honey
Dijon mustard
olive oil
(I'm not sure about the exact measurements because I just mix it until it tastes right but if you guys want me to I can totally make it again and measure this time :).

Boil the chicken in water with a little pinch of salt and oilve oil for maybe about 15 mins. Remove chicken from water and let cool for a bit. When chicken is cool enough to handle begin shredding the chicken.

Slice fennel bulb into thin strips, do not use the greeny fennel frowns. Mix spinach & arugula salad mix, with fennel, shredded chicken mandarin oranges, and shaved parmesan cheese. Top with dressing. Wal-la! Yummy salad in minutes!

The picture is taken with a carmelized onion, sweet potato and black bean burritto in continuation of my healthy kick. I'd post the recipe too but it was kind of lacking in flavor. Playing around with the recipe a bit more but I'll definitely post the finished product becuase I know these flavors could be delicious together!

No comments: